Cybersecurity Awareness Month 2022
Cybersecurity Awareness Month 2022
Cybersecurity Awareness Month takes place every October and is a full month dedicated to the importance internet safety, spreading helpful knowledge and awareness on how you can stay safe in this ever-evolving technological era.
Cybersecurity Awareness Month 2022 began on October 1st, and ends on Monday, October 31st. It comes around annually, with it growing in importance each year as technology becomes more and more present in our daily lives.
Way back in 2004, the National Cyber Security Alliance and the Department of Homeland Security went into collaboration in a joint effort to create Cybersecurity Awareness Month in a bid to raise awareness about the always growing significance of cybersecurity and safety when being online or using technology.
A theme is allocated to each year of the Cybersecurity Awareness Month, with 2022 having the theme “It's easy to stay safe online,” which has the target of making internet users more aware that there are many simple ways to keep personal information and private data secure when browsing and using the internet.
Many people are unaware of the vast list of tips and tools that can grant you greater security online, and that once you find out about these, it all becomes relatively simple and easy to lay down the proper settings and barriers than increase the strength of your cybersecurity.
Common cyber threats include:
· Malware, such as ransomware, botnet software, RATs (remote access Trojans), rootkits and bootkits, spyware, Trojans, viruses, and worms.
· Backdoors, which allow remote access.
· Formjacking, which inserts malicious code into online forms.
· Cryptojacking, which installs illicit cryptocurrency mining software.
· DDoS (distributed denial-of-service) attacks, which flood servers, systems, and networks with traffic to knock them offline.
· DNS (domain name system) poisoning attacks, which compromise the DNS to redirect traffic to malicious sites.
It’s not just adults who need to stay aware and alert on the internet. In this day and age, teens and children use the internet at extreme rates, so keeping them safe when they venture into the online world is vital.
Here’s 5 easy tips and tricks for children to stay safe online:
- PASSWORD SECURITY – It’s fine for a parent or guardian know, but you must never ever share any of your passwords with anyone. It’s always recommended that you should create a strong and long password that would be impossible for someone to guess or figure out.
- DOWNLOADING THINGS – Completely avoid downloading any files or software online without permission from a parent or guardian. Many attachments, files, and software products may seem fine on the surface but can in fact contain dangerous malware viruses that can slow down and damage your device. Your safest bet is to always check with an adult.
- HAVING SECURITY SOFTWARE – There’s many antivirus programs available that can protect you from downloading dodgy software, keeping your devices secure from any potential threats. Speak with your parents about finding a suitable antivirus protection program for your device.
- AWARNESS ON SOCIAL MEDIA – Being cautious of the people you talk to on social media is very important. Many people are not who they say they are on the internet. Never agree to meet up with someone you have met on the internet without a chaperone or your parent’s or guardian’s permission.
- ONLINE INFO ISN’T ALWAYS TRUE - Don’t believe everything you read online is 100% factual. “Fake news” is common on the internet, with many people, outlets, or websites spreading false information. Double check with adults or other sources, such as in a library, about what you are wanting to research or learn more about.
Keeping your business safe is one other thing you must think about when considering cyber security. As a businessowner, the best thing you can easily do is hire an eCommerce Developer who can essentially put in all the necessary cybersecurity adjustments that will keep your online business completely and utterly safe.
Developer Connection is a website that finds an eCommerce Developer for you, tailoring their search to your specific requirements, delivering you with the perfect eCommerce Developer.